Reuters government editor Gina Chua has acquired the Influence Award from the On-line Information Affiliation.
The Influence Award honors a trailblazing particular person whose work in digital journalism and dedication to innovation reveals a considerable affect on the trade. The ONA Board of Administrators selects honorees no matter their tenure in journalism.
Chua was named government editor of Reuters in April 2021. Beforehand she was international managing editor of operations, managing editorial operations, budgets, administration, security and safety for a 2,300-person newsroom; she works carefully with the info journalism and graphics groups, and with the know-how and R&D groups to construct newsroom capabilities and instruments. At Reuters, she created the award-winning Related China challenge, and drove improvement of its social media verification device, Tracer.
Right here’s a take a look at a couple of of her accomplishments over the previous 30 years.
Innovation in visualization
- Chua spearheaded an interactive multimedia challenge for Reuters referred to as Related China. The app combines deep analysis and social community evaluation to map political energy in China.
- As Editor on the South China Morning Submit, she developed a number of on-line assets:
- CitizenMap, a crowd-sourced hub that allowed readers to report and discover the extent of environmental injury in Hong Kong.
- Who Runs Hong, an interactive database that visualized and revealed relationships, backgrounds and ties amongst Hong Kong’s elite.
- Chua led the graphics workforce on the Wall Avenue Journal and was integral in recruiting high expertise to construct a sturdy, award-winning interactive graphics workforce at Reuters.
- As a newsroom supervisor, she has mentored quite a few journalists and helped them develop their careers. She has been particularly devoted to supporting journalists curious about graphics, knowledge and innovation.
- In the course of the Covid-19 pandemic, Chua was answerable for procuring large quantities of protecting gear, together with 1000’s of N95 masks from all over the world, to distribute to colleagues. She developed protocols for workers to observe when protecting hospitals and occasions to make sure security.
Dedication to the way forward for journalism
- Chua has served as a board member of the Institute for Nonprofit Information and several other different nonprofit information organizations.
- Chua is at the moment engaged on the Tiny Information Collective, an initiative to offer instruments, assets, and know-how to assist folks construct sustainable information organizations that mirror and serve their communities.
- She speaks often at worldwide conferences on sustainability, enterprise fashions, innovation and know-how.
- Chua writes about methods to rethink and restructure the enterprise of journalism on Construction of Information.